- Honda is the fastest growing mainstream car brand in Europe halfway through 2016
- Total sales of 88,242 units to the end of June secures 33.5 per cent growth compared to same period in 2015
- Strong demand driven by refreshed Civic range and the introduction of all-new HR-V and Jazz
- Strong growth rates across main European markets including Italy (+118.9%) , Germany (+50.1%) and Spain (+45.4%).
Following a strong start to 2016, Honda’s European sales have taken a further step up in the second quarter. A full refresh of its car range in 2015 has made it the fastest growing mainstream car brand in Europe.
Honda recorded total sales in EU and EFTA countries of 88,242 units*, an increase of 33.5 per cent compared to 2015. This performance was driven by the reintroduction of the HR-V crossover, delivering 19,485** registrations. Meanwhile, the Jazz supermini saw a 19.9** per cent increase in registrations with particularly strong demand from the Italian market (+132 per cent). The Civic range also saw an increase of 8.3 per cent, supported by the introduction of the new Type R.
All five of the main car markets in Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain) saw sales increase for the Honda brand. Italy continued its strong growth in 2016 with a 118.9 per cent increase**, making it Honda’s third largest European market.
Jean-Marc Streng, General Manager, Automobile Division, Honda Motor Europe, commented, “We’re pleased to see the strong start to 2016 sales transfer into sustained growth in the second quarter. What is even more encouraging is the broad base of Honda’s resurgence, with sales increases in all five major European car markets. We continue to hold a healthy customer order bank and feel confident that this positive trend is set to continue.”
|Official sales figures, June YTD (provided by ACEA)|
|Honda Europe (excl. Russia, Turkey and Ukraine)||88,242||+33.5%|
|Honda sales by major European market June YTD (Internal Honda registration data)|
* Data provided by ACEA (http://www.acea.be/uploads/press_releases_files/20160715_PRPC_1606_FINAL.PDF)
** Internal Honda registration data